Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Top Ten (with an asterisk).

Apparently Entertainment Weekly (who knew that was still being published) has published its list of the 100 Greatest Characters (fictional) of the past 20 years and, while not specified, that seems to mean in movie and TV shows only.

The Top Ten were Homer Simpson (D'oh!), Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Tony Soprano, The Joker (Heath Ledger), Rachel Green (Friends), Edward Scissorhands, Hannibal Lecter, Carrie Brandshaw (Sex and the City) and SpongeBob SquarePants.

Carrie Bradshaw? Really?

I am particularly pleased to see Buffy Summers ranked so highly and only wish that the show itself had gotten the respect it deserved. But the Bradshaw character strikes me as way below the level of the other nine. Kramer (Seinfeld) is #11 and certainly, to me, was more memorable by far...as was almost any character on that show ever.

The complete list is here.Your additions, removals or comments invited.


1 comment:

  1. Reading some of the comments on the EW site, I have to agree with the addition of Xena, Mal Reynolds, Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory, Veronica Mars, Jason Bourne. They also must have felt the need to only have one character from any one source, otherwise more Seinfeld/Friends/Lost folks should be there - even 30 Rock for that matter (I can't argue with Tracy Jordan except for him possibly knocking out Jack).

    And I suppose it is blasphemy, but while I enjoyed it a great deal, I wasn't as impressed with Ledger's Joker as everyone else seems to be, certainly not Top 10 status. Hate to say it, but I don't think it would have been such a big deal if he had lived.

    Not having seen Sex and the City, I can't comment on the character, but the ranking is understandable given the profile of the show itself.

    ReplyDelete