Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

who I am.

we are never, not one of us, who we hope or seem to be. Still, we know who we would be if we were who we wanted to be in our heart or hearts.

You'll have to add a decade or two to the "40," but I (kinda) like to think I yam who he I am....



Or, to put it another way, there's this from A.E. Houseman which I can definitely get behind:
The laws of God, the laws of man
He may keep that will and can
Not I: Let God and man decree
Laws for themselves and not for me;

And if my ways are not as theirs
Let them mind their own affairs.
Their deeds I judge and most condemn
Yet when did I make laws for them?
Not to mention this from the same guy:
Could man be drunk for ever
With liquor, love, or fights,
Lief should I rouse at morning
And lief lie down of nights.

But men at whiles are sober
And think by fits and starts,
And if they think, they fasten
Their hands upon their hearts
If I had to compress all this into a single phrase...
Let them mind their own affairs.

1 comment:

  1. many great Buffett songs, this is still one of the best. thanks for a great Sunday night reminder

    ReplyDelete